Valtteri Bottas (born 28 August, 1989 in Nastola, Finland) is a Formula One driver for the Mercedes team. Having tested with the Williams team since 2010, Bottas was promoted to a race seat for 2013. For the 2015 season, Bottas retained his race seat at Williams, partnered by Felipe Massa. In 2017, he moved to Mercedes to replace retired and reigning world champion Nico Rosberg and partner Lewis Hamilton. His first podium came in the 2014 Austrian Grand Prix. He went on to finish 4th in the Drivers' Championship in 2014. He got his first pole at the 2017 Bahrain Grand Prix, and his first win at the Russian Grand Prix in the same year. He took his first double at the 2017 Austrian Grand Prix.
His permanent career number is 77. He is the teammate of Lewis Hamilton (Car number: 44).
Formula One Career
Before Formula One
In 2008, Bottas won both the Formula Renault Eurocup and the Formula Renault Northern European Cup. He then advanced to Formula Three in 2009, but was unable to win any races. He was able to set two pole positions though. He won the 2009 Masters of Formula 3 after setting the pole position and fastest lap. He repeated this win in 2010, becoming the first driver in history to win the Formula Three Masters title for two consecutive years.
In 2010, Bottas was called to Williams to fill a position as test driver. Although he would have this position for the 2010, 2011, 2012 seasons, he would also compete in and win the GP3 Series championship.
Bottas made his debut in Australia, qualifying for 16th on the grid. During the race, he lost a lap to the leaders and finished in 14th position, one position behind rookie Esteban Gutiérrez. He was not in a scoring position for that race, and was the second highest ranked rookie in that race.
At the next race in Malaysia, Bottas finished one position outside of the points. He was only 1.486 seconds behind Jean-Éric Vergne of Toro Rosso. This would be his fate for the next 15 races, finishing in the upper teens. He suffered his first career retirement in Hungary after he suffered a hydraulics failure.
He would later suffered another retirement after a collision in the final race of the season at Brazil, but not before he managed to score his first career points in the race prior. After a battle in the United States, Bottas finished 8th which earned him 4 points. These were his only career points in the 2013 season.
Bottas finished the season in 17th position for the World Drivers' Championship, and it was confirmed that he would return to Williams for the next season.
Since 2010, Bottas had been in a relationship with Finnish swimmer Emilia Pikkarainen. They were married on 11 September 2016. On 28 November 2019, Bottas announced their divorce on Instagram. He is currently dating Australian cyclist Tiffany Cromwell.
Formula One Statistical Overview
Formula One Record
|Year||Entrant||Team||WDC Points||WDC Pos.||Report|
|2010||AT&T Williams||Williams-Cosworth||Test Driver|
|2011||AT&T Williams||Williams-Cosworth||Test Driver|
|2012||Williams F1 Team||Williams-Renault||Test Driver|
|2013||Williams F1 Team||Williams-Renault||4||17th||Report|
|2014||Williams Martini Racing||Williams-Mercedes||186||4th||Report|
|2015||Williams Martini Racing||Williams-Mercedes||136||5th||Report|
|2016||Williams Martini Racing||Williams-Mercedes||85||8th||Report|
|2017||Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport||Mercedes||305||3rd||Report|
|2018||Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport||Mercedes||247||5th||Report|
|2019||Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport||Mercedes||326||2nd||Report|
|2020||Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team||Mercedes||223||2nd||Report|
|2021||Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team||Mercedes||141||3rd||Report|
Correct as of the 2021 Russian Grand Prix qualifying
|Front Row Starts||42|
|Distance Raced||48944 km (30412 mi)|
|Distance Led||3554 km (2208 mi)|
|Complete Formula One results|
|3rd||DNQ||Did not qualify|
|5th||Points finish||DNPQ||Did not pre-qualify|
|14th||Non-points finish||TD||Test driver|
|NC||Non-classified finish (<90% race distance)||DNS||Did not start|
|Italics||Scored point(s) for Fastest Lap||[+] More Symbols|
- "Felipe Massa to replace Valtteri Bottas for 2017 season". Williams Grand Prix Engineering. 16 January 2017. http://www.williamsf1.com/racing/news/felipe-massa-to-replace-valtteri-bottas-for-2017-season. Retrieved 16 January 2017.
- Benson, Andrew (16 March 2014). "Valtteri Bottas of Williams aims to be next Flying Finn". http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19789233. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- "Valtteri Bottas Twitter (8:15 AM - 11 Sep 2016 Tweet)". Twitter. 11 September 2016. https://twitter.com/ValtteriBottas/status/774989672883843072. Retrieved 16 September 2016.
- "Emilia Bottas Twitter (8:13 AM - 11 Sep 2016 Tweet)". Twitter. 11 September 2016. https://twitter.com/EmiliaEpi/status/774989182338994176. Retrieved 16 September 2016.
- "Glenn Dunbar Twitter (2:57 PM - 11 Sep 2016 Tweet)". Twitter. 11 September 2016. https://twitter.com/glenn_dunbar/status/775090908962426881. Retrieved 16 September 2016.
- "FIA Thursday press conference - Singapore". formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 15 September 2016. http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/9/fia-thursday-press-conference-singapore.html. Retrieved 16 September 2016.
- "Valtteri Bottas on Instagram: "Unfortunately I have to share you the news that the marriage between Emilia and myself has come to an end. Our ways have split because of..."". Instagram. 28 November 2019. https://www.instagram.com/p/B5Z94AziFBZ/. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
- "Tiffany Cromwell on Instagram: "Happy Valentines Day to this amazing human..."". instagram.com. 14 February 2020. https://www.instagram.com/p/B8jhJtqhtOj/. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
|V T E||Williams F1|
6. Nicholas Latifi · 63. George Russell
Frank Williams · Patrick Head · Pat Symonds · Mike Coughlan
Alan Jones (1980) · Keke Rosberg (1982) · Nelson Piquet (1987) · Nigel Mansell (1992) ·
Alain Prost (1993) · Damon Hill (1996) · Jacques Villeneuve (1997)
March 761 · FW06 · FW07 · FW07B · FW07C · FW07D · FW08 · FW08C · FW09 · FW09B · FW10 · FW10B · FW11 · FW11B · FW12 · FW12C · FW13 · FW13B · FW14 · FW14B · FW15C · FW16 · FW16B · FW17 · FW17B · FW18 · FW19 · FW20 · FW21 · FW22 · FW23 · FW24 · FW25 · FW26 · FW27 · FW28 · FW29 · FW30 · FW31 · FW32 · FW33 · FW34 · FW35 · FW36 · FW37 · FW38 · FW40 · FW41 · FW42 · FW43
|V T E||Mercedes Grand Prix|
44. Lewis Hamilton · 77. Valtteri Bottas
Juan Manuel Fangio (1954, 1955) · Lewis Hamilton (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020) · Nico Rosberg (2016)
Michael Schumacher · Juan Manuel Fangio · Nico Rosberg · Hans Herrmann · Karl Kling · Stirling Moss · André Simon · Piero Taruffi · Hermann Lang
Nick Fry · Bob Bell · Aldo Costa · Toto Wolff
Norbert Haug · Alfred Neubauer · Max Sailer · Rudolf Uhlenhaut · Paddy Lowe
W154 · W196 · W01 · W02 · W03 · W04 · W05 · W06 · W07 · W08 · W09 · W10 · W11 · W12