In Formula One, the team principal is the person who owns and is in charge of a certain team during each race weekend. They are also usually responsible for giving out team orders.
Famous examples include Ron Dennis (McLaren), Jean Todt (Ferrari), Frank Williams (Williams), Christian Horner (Red Bull) and Colin Chapman (Lotus). World Drivers' Champions like Alain Prost and Jackie Stewart also became team principals for their own teams after retiring from racing. The most successful team principal of all time is Williams, with nine Team Principal titles, and has led his team on a regular basis since its formation in 1977, despite the car accident that left him paralysed in 1986. Todt is now President of the FIA.
Current team principalsEdit
Past Team PrincipalsEdit
|Benetton|| Flavio Briatore (1990–1997)|
Rocco Benetton (1998–start of 2000)
Flavio Briatore (2000–2001)
|Caterham|| Tony Fernandes (2012)|
Cyril Abiteboul (2013–July 2014)
Christijan Albers (July–November 2014)
Manfredi Ravetto (2014)
Finbarr O'Connell ("de facto" Team Principal, November 2014)
|Ferrari|| Jean Todt (1993–2007)|
Stefano Domenicali (2008–April 2014)
Marco Mattiacci (April–November 2014)
Maurizio Arrivabene (2015–2018)
Mattia Binotto (2019 - present)
|Force India||Vijay Mallya (2008–July 2018)|
|Haas||Guenther Steiner (2016–present)|
|Lotus F1|| Éric Boullier (2012–2013)|
Gérard Lopez (2014–2015)
|Lotus Racing||Tony Fernandes (2010–2011)|
|Manor||Stephen Fitzpatrick (2016)|
|Marussia||John Booth (2010–2011)|
|McLaren|| Bruce McLaren (1963–1970)|
Teddy Mayer (1970–1982)
Ron Dennis (1981–2008)
Martin Whitmarsh (2009–2013)
Ron Dennis (2014–2016)
|Mercedes|| Ross Brawn (2010–2013)|
Paddy Lowe (2014–2016)
|Red Bull||Christian Horner (2005–present)|
|Renault|| Flavio Briatore (2002–2009)|
Éric Boullier (2010–2011)
Frédéric Vasseur (2016–start of 2017)
- ↑ "Tech boss Lowe to leave Mercedes post". formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 10 January 2017. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/1/lowe-to-leave-mercedes.html. Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- ↑ "Statement by the Chairman regarding Monisha Kaltenborn". Sauber. 22 June 2017. https://www.sauberf1team.com/news/statement-by-the-chairman-regarding-monisha-kaltenborn. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- ↑ Does not hold position of "Team Principal".
- ↑ Dennis has returned to his position as team boss in 2014 after five years, replacing Martin Whitmarsh.
- ↑ Mercedes do not employ anyone with the role of "team principal". However, Paddy Lowe, in his role as Executive Director (Technical), performed the role of a team principal.
- ↑ Appointed by Smith & Williamson to be Caterham's administrator, hence became the de facto Team Principal.