Robert Józef Kubica (born 7 December 1984 in Kraków, Poland) is Polish racing driver who currently serves as the reserve driver for Alfa Romeo. Having made his début in 2006, Kubica has driven for BMW Sauber, Renault and Williams in a career that was interrupted by a serious rallying accident in 2011. He is the only Polish driver to have competed in Formula One, and he has won one race, the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix.
During the off-season in early 2011, Kubica suffered a serious injury as a result of a rally crash which almost cost him his life. While he survived the wreck, he was left with limited use of his right arm. While Kubica had not ruled out a return to F1, the prospect of doing so following such serious injuries seemed doubtful. However, on 6 June 2017, he drove the Lotus E20 at a test run by Renault at Circuit Ricardo Tormo, and went fourth fastest in the Renault R.S.17 at the 2017 Budapest test. He then completed a few more tests for Williams, including at the post-season tyre test, and then became the team's reserve driver for 2018. He was a full-time driver for the Williams team in 2019.
As part of the Polish driver's recuperation, Kubica has competed in a number of minor rallying competitions, including victory in the Ronde Gomitolo Di Lana in Italy.
Formula One Career[edit | edit source]
2006-2009: BMW Sauber[edit | edit source]
2010-2011: Renault[edit | edit source]
2013: Mercedes test driver[edit | edit source]
Kubica drove Mercedes's Formula One simulator.
Formula One Statistical Overview[edit | edit source]
Formula One Career Record[edit | edit source]
|2002||Renault Driver Development|
|2005||Mild Seven Renault F1 Team||Renault||Test Driver|
|2006||BMW Sauber F1 Team||BMW Sauber||Test Driver|
|2007||BMW Sauber F1 Team||BMW Sauber||39||6th||Report|
|2008||BMW Sauber F1 Team||BMW Sauber||75||4th||Report|
|2009||BMW Sauber F1 Team||BMW Sauber||17||14th||Report|
|2010||Renault F1 Team||Renault||136||8th||Report|
|2011||Lotus Renault GP||Renault||Pre-Season Testing|
|2013||Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team||Mercedes||Simulator Driver|
|2017||Renault Sport Formula One Team||Renault||Test Driver|
|2018||Williams Martini Racing||Williams-Mercedes||Test/Reserve Driver|
|2019||ROKiT Williams Racing||Williams-Mercedes||1||19th||Report|
|2020||Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||Reserve Driver|
|2021||Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||Reserve Driver|
Career Statistics[edit | edit source]
|Front Row Starts||4|
|Distance Raced||27045 km (16805 mi)|
|Distance Led||337 km (209 mi)|
Race Wins[edit | edit source]
|1||2008 Canadian Grand Prix|
Career Results[edit | edit source]
|Complete Formula One results|
|2011–2017: Did not compete|
|3rd||DNQ||Did not qualify|
|5th||Points finish||DNPQ||Did not pre-qualify|
|14th||Non-points finish||TD||Test driver|
|NC||Non-classified finish (<90% race distance)||DNS||Did not start|
|Italics||Scored point(s) for Fastest Lap||[+] More Symbols|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Chinchero, Roberto (5 June 2017). "Robert Kubica set for first F1 test since accident in 2012 Lotus". http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129946. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- "Kubica to drive 2017 Renault in F1's post-Hungary test". 24 July 2017. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/7/f1-kubica-2017-renault-hungary-test.html. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- "Kubica fourth fastest on return as Vettel sets testing pace". 2 August 2017. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/8/kubica-fourth-fastest-on-return-as-vettel-sets-testing-pace.html. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- Gilboy, James. "Williams F1 Confirms Robert Kubica Will Drive Abu Dhabi Test". The Drive. http://www.thedrive.com/start-finish/16362/williams-f1-confirms-robert-kubica-will-drive-abu-dhabi-test. Retrieved 25 November 2017.
- Barretto, Lawrence (16 January 2018). "Robert Kubica gets Williams Formula 1 development role for 2018". https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133915/williams-gives-kubica-reserve-driver-role. Retrieved 16 January 2018.
- Mitchell, Scott (22 November 2018). "Williams announces Kubica as race driver for 2019". motorsport.com (Motorsport Network). https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-williams-2019-announcement/4301654/. Retrieved 22 November 2018.
|V T E||Williams F1|
6. Nicholas Latifi · 63. George Russell
Frank Williams · Patrick Head · Pat Symonds · Mike Coughlan
Alan Jones (1980) · Keke Rosberg (1982) · Nelson Piquet (1987) · Nigel Mansell (1992) ·
Alain Prost (1993) · Damon Hill (1996) · Jacques Villeneuve (1997)
March 761 · FW06 · FW07 · FW07B · FW07C · FW07D · FW08 · FW08C · FW09 · FW09B · FW10 · FW10B · FW11 · FW11B · FW12 · FW12C · FW13 · FW13B · FW14 · FW14B · FW15C · FW16 · FW16B · FW17 · FW17B · FW18 · FW19 · FW20 · FW21 · FW22 · FW23 · FW24 · FW25 · FW26 · FW27 · FW28 · FW29 · FW30 · FW31 · FW32 · FW33 · FW34 · FW35 · FW36 · FW37 · FW38 · FW40 · FW41
|v·d·e||Nominate this page for Featured Article|