Lando Norris (born 13 November 1999 in Bristol, UK) is a British racing driver, who made his debut for McLaren Racing during the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship. A member of the McLaren Young Driver Programme, Norris arrived in F1 after a successful maiden season in the FIA Formula 2 Championship, and would replace Stoffel Vandoorne.
Background[edit | edit source]
Norris, son of a wealthy businessman, began his racing career in karting at the age of seven, and quickly rose through the ranks to become World Karting Champion in 2013, aged 14. A year later the Brit became the youngest ever CIK-FIA KF World Karting Champion, having moved into the Ginetta Junior Championship in his native Britain. A successful debut year in car racing saw the youngster gain a seat in the MSA Formula Championship with Carlin Motorsport.
Carlin Control[edit | edit source]
Norris would claim the title in the inaugural MSA Formula season, which also earned him a handful of appearances in continental Formula 4 series. For 2016 Norris made the move to the Toyota Racing Series in New Zealand, as well as taking up seats in two Formula Renault Championships in Europe. A stunning season saw Norris claim all three Championships, which earned him a few drivers in several Formula Three events, including the Macau Grand Prix.
For 2017 Norris would be signed, with Carlin, to the FIA Formula 3 European Championship, one of the most high-profile junior series. His move also included a role in the McLaren Young Driver Programme, with Norris making his test debut in a Formula One car at the 2017 in-season test at the Hungaroring. Yet, that would not prove to be a distraction to the Bristol born racer, for Norris claimed the F3 Europe title with two races to spare.
Formula Foundations[edit | edit source]
Norris would sign up to the FIA Formula 2 Championship before the end of the 2017 season, taking part in the final two races of the season in Abu Dhabi. This morphed into a full F2 campaign in 2018, with Norris winning the season opening race in Bahrain, launching a season long title fight with George Russell.
Formula One Career[edit | edit source]
Norris would join the McLaren Young Driver Programme ahead of the 2017 season, before gaining a test/reserve driver contract for the 2018 season. After an impressive maiden F2 campaign, and several free practice run-outs with McLaren, Norris would be signed up by the Woking based team for the 2019 season, partnering Carlos Sainz, Jr.
Formula One Statistical Overview[edit | edit source]
Formula One Record[edit | edit source]
|Year||Entrant||Team||WDC Pts.||WDC Pos.||Report|
|2017–2018||McLaren Young Driver Programme|
|2018||McLaren F1 Team||McLaren-Renault||Test Driver|
|2019||McLaren F1 Team||McLaren-Renault||49||11th||Report|
|2020||McLaren F1 Team||McLaren-Renault||65||7th||Report|
Career Statistics[edit | edit source]
Correct as of the 2020 Portuguese Grand Prix qualifying
|Distance Raced||8933 km (5551 mi)|
Career Results[edit | edit source]
|Complete Formula One results|
|3rd||DNQ||Did not qualify|
|5th||Points finish||DNPQ||Did not pre-qualify|
|14th||Non-points finish||TD||Test driver|
|NC||Non-classified finish (<90% race distance)||DNS||Did not start|
|Italics||Scored point(s) for Fastest Lap||[+] More Symbols|
See Also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Images and Videos:
- 'McLaren: British teenager Lando Norris to replace Stoffel Vandoorne', bbc.co.uk/sport, (British Broadcasting Company, 03/09/2018), https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45397134, (Accessed 03/09/2018)
- 'Kubica fourth fastest on return as Vettel sets testing pace', formula1.com, (Formula One World Championship Ltd., 02/08/2017), https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/8/kubica-fourth-fastest-on-return-as-vettel-sets-testing-pace.html, (Accessed 26/06/2018)
- 'LANDO NORRIS TO MAKE F2 DEBUT WITH CAMPOS', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula Two, 13/11/2017), http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/News/2017/11_November/Lando-Norris-to-make-F2-debut-with-Campos/, (Accessed 26/06/2018)
- 'CARLIN SIGN NORRIS AND SETTE CAMARA FOR FIA FORMULA 2', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula Two, 26/11/2017), http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/News/2017/11_November/Carlin-sign-Norris-and-Sette-Camara-for-FIA-Formula-2---/, (Accessed 26/06/2018)
- "Lando Norris becomes official McLaren test and reserve driver for 2018". McLaren Racing. 6 November 2017. http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/reserve-test-development-drivers/lando-norris-becomes-official-mclaren-test-reserve-driver-2018/. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
|v·d·e||Nominate this page for Featured Article|