Kevin Magnussen (born 5 October 1992 in Roskilde, Zealand, Denmark) is a Danish Formula One driver who most recently drove for McLaren. He is the son of former Formula One driver Jan Magnussen, who drove between 1995–1998. His car number is 20.
He was quickest on the first day of the 2012 Young Driver Test in Abu Dhabi while in McLaren. His distance in the test was enough to give him his Super Licence. During the 2013 Young Driver Test in Silverstone, Magnussen set the fastest time for McLaren in the first day of the test. He was promoted to the full race team alongside Jenson Button for 2014, replacing Sergio Pérez.
He was fastest on the third day of the 2014 Jerez Test, setting the fastest time at the time of 1:23.276. He was again fastest on the second day of the 2014 Bahrain Test 1, setting a time of 1:34.910.
He finished on the podium on his first Formula One Grand Prix at the 2014 Australian Grand Prix. He originally finished third, but was the runner-up due to Ricciardo's disqualification. He was the second Danish driver to take a points finish, and the first débutant to finish on the podium since Lewis Hamilton at the 2007 Australian Grand Prix. After Ricciardo's disqualification from the results, it made him the first rookie to finish second since Jacques Villeneuve at the 1996 Australian Grand Prix.
Magnussen always finished every race in his first Formula One season except for the 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix, where he retired with a clutch problem.
He replaced Fernando Alonso for the 2015 Australian Grand Prix after Alonso was told to miss the event on medical advice following his crash at the first Barcelona test. However, Magnussen was unable to start the race after his car suffered engine failure on his way to the grid. He was later emailed by McLaren on his twenty-third birthday that they have released him due to the fact that Button and Alonso were both confirmed to be racing for them in 2016. The announcement was made official by McLaren on 16 October 2015, while Magnussen had said that he is in talks with other teams.
Formula One Career
Formula One Statistical Overview
Formula One Record
|Year||Entrant||Team||WDC Points||WDC Pos.||Report|
|2012||Vodafone McLaren Mercedes||McLaren-Mercedes||Test Driver|
|2013||Vodafone McLaren Mercedes||McLaren-Mercedes||Test Driver|
|2015||McLaren Honda||McLaren-Honda||Test/Reserve Driver|
|Complete Formula One results|
|3rd||DNQ||Did not qualify|
|5th||Points finish||DNPQ||Did not pre-qualify|
|14th||Non-points finish||TD||Test driver|
|NC||Non-classified finish (<90% race distance)||DNS||Did not start|
|Italics||Scored point(s) for Fastest Lap||[+] More Symbols|
- ↑ Benson, Andrew (19 March 2010). "McLaren and Magnussen come full circle". BBC Sport (BBC). http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/andrewbenson/2010/03/mclaren_and_magnussen_come_ful.html. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- ↑ "Numbers up for 2014 Formula One drivers". MSN. 10 January 2014. http://wayback.archive.org/web/20140113220941/http://news.ph.msn.com/sports/numbers-up-for-2014-formula-one-drivers-3. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- ↑ "Magnussen and Da Costa impress in Young Driver Test". grandprix.com. 7 November 2012. http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns24624.html. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- ↑ "Valsecchi tops final day in Abu Dhabi". grandprix.com. grandprix.com. 8 November 2012. http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns24626.html. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- ↑ "Sergio Perez confirms McLaren departure". BBC Sport. 13 November 2013. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24927323. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- ↑ "McLaren confirm Alonso and Button for 2015". F1. 11 December 2014. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/12/16720.html. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- ↑ "Fernando Alonso: A Medical Update". McLaren. 3 March 2015. http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/inside-the-mtc/fernando-alonso-a-medical-update/. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- ↑ Benson, Andrew (3 March 2015). "Fernando Alonso: McLaren driver to miss Australian Grand Prix". BBC Sport. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31713292. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- ↑ "Winners and Losers - Australia". formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 16 March 2015. http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/features/2015/3/winners-and-losers---the-australian-grand-prix.html. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Benson, Andrew (16 October 2015). "Kevin Magnussen: McLaren man told about exit on birthday". BBC Sport. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34549164. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- ↑ "A fond farewell to Kevin Magnussen". McLaren.com (McLaren). 16 October 2015. http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/reserve-test-development-drivers/kevin-magnussen/fond-farewell-kevin-magnussen/. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
|v·d·e||Nominate this page for Featured Article|