Giedo van der Garde (born Giedo Gijsbertus Gerrit van der Garde, 25 April 1985 in Rhenen, Netherlands) is a former Dutch Formula One driver, currently driving in the World Endurance Championship and in the European Le Mans Series. In Formula One, he had driven for Sauber and Caterham.
Formula One Career[edit | edit source]
2007-2008: Spyker test driver[edit | edit source]
Van der Garde has previously tested in 2007 for Spyker and in 2008 for Force India. He was originally announced as Super Aguri's test driver for the 2007 season, but was later announced surprisingly as the test and reserve driver of Spyker.
Super Aguri made a belief that his contract with them was still active, saying "Super Aguri F1 Team has a valid contract with Giedo van der Garde to drive for the team in the position of Friday and Test Driver for the 2007 FIA Formula One World Championship. The contract was submitted by the SAF1 Team to the Contracts Recognition Board on 23rd January 2007." However, van der Garde took part for Spyker in testing at Silverstone Circuit, giving an indication that they resolved the contract dispute. He was originally going to be Spyker's Friday test driver in the Australian Grand Prix, but he did not manage to get the required FIA Super License in time.
2011-2013: Caterham[edit | edit source]
The Dutchman was a candidate for a race seat at Virgin in 2011 but was overlooked in favour of Jérôme d'Ambrosio. He also tested for the Caterham team in the 2012 season, for China and Japan.
On February 1, 2013, van der Garde got the second driver seat alongside Frenchman Charles Pic for the 2013 season. At the Monaco Grand Prix, he achieved the team's highest qualifying position by qualifying 15th, being the first time that Caterham reached Q2 this season.
He achieved another impressive qualifying position at the Belgian Grand Prix by qualifying 14th.
At the Japanese Grand Prix, he had a crash with Marussia's Jules Bianchi at the start of the race. At the next race at the Indian Grand Prix, he retired on the first lap from a collision, angered over the incident with Marussia driver Max Chilton.
van der Garde would not be confirmed as one of Caterham's drivers for next season.
2014-2015: Sauber[edit | edit source]
After having no drive for Caterham in 2014, he was announced as a test driver for the Sauber team. Van der Garde later took legal action against the team, claiming that they did not choose him to race for them in 2015, instead signing Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson On 11 March 2015, the Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia, upheld the Dutchman's claim and ordered the Sauber team to allow him to race, despite him having spent no time in the car in pre-season. However, van der Garde dismissed the order, aiming to find a different permanent solution in the future. He later ended his contract with Sauber on mutual terms, stating that his Formula One career is most likely done.
Personal life[edit | edit source]
In December 2013, van der Garde married his long-time girlfriend Denise Boekhoorn.
He is also a banter.
Formula One Statistical Overview[edit | edit source]
Formula One Record[edit | edit source]
|Year||Entrant||Team||WDC Points||WDC Pos.||Report|
|2004||Renault Driver Development|
|2006 - 2010||McLaren Young Driver Programme|
|2007||Etihad Aldar Spyker F1 Team||Spyker-Ferrari||Test Driver|
|2008||Force India F1 Team||Force India-Ferrari||Test Driver|
|2009-2011: Did Not Compete|
|2012||Caterham F1 Team||Caterham-Renault||Test Driver|
|2013||Caterham F1 Team||Caterham-Renault||0||22nd||Report|
|2014||Sauber F1 Team||Sauber-Ferrari||Test Driver|
|2015||Sauber F1 Team||Sauber-Ferrari||Contract terminated|
Career Statistics[edit | edit source]
Correct as of 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix
|Front Row Starts||0|
|Distance Raced||4773.778 km (2966 mi)|
Career Results[edit | edit source]
|Complete Formula One results|
|3rd||DNQ||Did not qualify|
|5th||Points finish||DNPQ||Did not pre-qualify|
|14th||Non-points finish||TD||Test driver|
|NC||Non-classified finish (<90% race distance)||DNS||Did not start|
|Italics||Scored point(s) for Fastest Lap||[+] More Symbols|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Giedo van der Garde BV v Sauber Motorsport AG  VSC 80 (11 March 2015). 11 March 2015. http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/vic/VSC/2015/80.html. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "Super Aguri names Van der Garde". grandprix.com. 15 December 2006. http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17872.html. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "Van der Garde leaves Aguri for Spyker". autosport.com. 1 February 2007. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56551. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "Super Aguri confirm van der Garde contract". formula1.com. 2 February 2007. Archived from the original on 11 March 2015. http://web.archive.org/web/20070205063223/http://www.formula1.com/news/5601.html. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "An interesting tester at Spyker". grandprix.com. 25 June 2007-06-25. http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19311.html. Retrieved 2007-06-25.
- "Van der Garde still pushing for F1 seat". ESPN F1. ESPN Sport UK. 22 December 2010. http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/36926.html. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "Van der Garde signs as Caterham reserve". formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 5 February 2012. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/2/12980.html. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- Collantine, Keith (13 April 2012). "2012 Chinese Grand Prix practice in pictures". F1 Fanatic (Keith Collantine).
- "Van der Garde to drive again in Japan". GP Update (GP Update). 28 August 2012. http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/282971/van-der-garde-to-drive-again-in-japan/. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- Elizalde, Pablo (21 January 2014). "Giedo van der Garde joins Sauber as 2014 Formula 1 reserve driver". Autosport (Haymarket Publications). http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112204. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Giedo van der Garde: Ex-Sauber test driver takes legal action". BBC Sport (BBC). 5 March 2015. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31752616. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "Court rules van der Garde should race for Sauber". ESPN. 10 March 2015. http://www.espn.co.uk/sauber/motorsport/story/193917.html. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- Cooper, Adam (14 March 2015). "Van der Garde and Sauber reach agreement but story not over yet". Adam Cooper's F1 Blog (WordPress). http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/03/13/van-der-garde-and-sauber-reach-agreement-but-story-inot-over-yet/. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- Esler, William (18 March 2015). "Giedo van der Garde and Sauber reach settlement to end contract". Sky Sports. http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12040/9764757/giedo-van-der-gardes-sauber-contract-ended-by-mutual-consent. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "Van der Garde marries billionaire’s daughter". Grand Prix 247. 17 December 2013. http://web.archive.org/web/20131220012227/http://grandprix247.com/2013/12/17/van-der-garde-marries-billionaires-daughter/. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
[edit | edit source]
|V T E||Force India|
11. Sergio Pérez · 31. Esteban Ocon
Vijay Mallya · Otmar Szafnauer · Andrew Green
Giancarlo Fisichella · Vitantonio Liuzzi · Adrian Sutil · Paul di Resta · Nico Hülkenberg
VJM01 · VJM02 · VJM03 · VJM04 · VJM05 · VJM06 · VJM07 · VJM08 · VJM09 · VJM10 · VJM11
|V T E||Caterham F1|
Marcus Ericsson · Kamui Kobayashi · André Lotterer · Will Stevens · Charles Pic · Giedo van der Garde · Heikki Kovalainen · Vitaly Petrov
Tony Fernandes · Collin Kolles · Manfredi Ravetto
CT01 · CT03 · CT05
|V T E||Sauber F1 Team|
Ericsson · Leclerc · Wehrlein · Nasr · Hülkenberg · Pérez · Kobayashi · Kubica · Heidfeld · Räikkönen · more
Frédéric Vasseur · Pascal Picci · Alex Sauber · Eric Gandelin · Timothée Guerin · Axel Kruse · Beat Zehnder
Ilmor (1993) · Mercedes (1994) · Ford (1995-96) · Petronas (1997-2005) · Ferrari (2010-2018)
C12 · C13 · C14 · C15 · C16 · C17 · C18 · C19 · C20 · C21 · C22 · C23 · C24 · F1.06 · F1.07 · F1.08 · F1.09 · C29 · C30 · C31 · C32 · C33 · C34 · C35 · C36 · C37
BMW Sauber · Alfa Romeo