Alexander Michael Rossi (born September 25, 1991 in Auburn, California) is a driver who currently drives for Andretti Herta Autosport in the IndyCar Series and competed in five races for Manor Marussia in F1.
Rossi made his Formula One début at the 2015 Singapore Grand Prix for the Manor Marussia team, replacing Roberto Merhi. He skipped the 2015 Russian Grand Prix and the 2015 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, as the two races coincided with the GP2 Series races.
In 2016, he won the Indianapolis 500.
Formula One CareerEdit
Rossi first drove for the Caterham team during Free Practice for the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix, and has since tested at the 2013 Canadian Grand Prix and the 2013 Young Driver Test at Silverstone. Rossi had his first test of 2014 in the first practice session of the Canadian Grand Prix with Caterham. He exited Caterham on 16 July 2014 after the team went for sale to new Swiss and Middle Eastern investors.
After leaving Caterham due to the team being sold, he moved to a testing role at Marussia prior to the 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix. Rossi was set to become the first American driver to compete since Scott Speed in 2007 when he was slated to replace Max Chilton at the 2014 Belgian Grand Prix, but this decision was reversed during Free Practice 1 at the event, demoting Rossi back to his reserve driver role.He was also set to drive at the Russian Grand Prix, after Jules Bianchi suffered a major accident at the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix, effectively ruling him out of the next race, but Marussia elected to run only one car out of respect for Bianchi. He also missed out on his home race in the United States Grand Prix after Marussia decided not to compete in the race because of financial problems which ultimately led to them folding and becoming Manor Marussia. He made his race debut at the 2015 Singapore Grand Prix for Manor Marussia and went on to race in Japan, the United States, Mexico and Brazil, replacing Roberto Merhi. His car number is 53, because he decided to have the same number as The Love Bug movie character Herbie.
In 2016, Rossi moved to the IndyCar Series, where he won the 2016 Indianapolis 500. He did, however, remain as a reserve driver for Manor Racing Team. When it was confirmed Rio Haryanto was not competing for Manor after the German Grand Prix, the team offered Rossi to take part for the rest of the season, but he declined, saying that he had to focus on the IndyCar Series. In October 2016, Rossi confirmed he was not returning as Manor's reserve driver in 2017, so to concentrate on another season of the IndyCar Series.
Formula One Statistical OverviewEdit
Formula One RecordEdit
|Year||Entrant||Team||WDC Points||WDC Pos.||Report|
|2012||Caterham F1 Team||Caterham-Renault||Test Driver|
|2013||Caterham F1 Team||Caterham-Renault||Test Driver|
|2014||Caterham F1 Team||Caterham-Renault||Test Driver|
|Marussia F1 Team||Marussia-Ferrari||Test Driver|
|2015||Manor Marussia F1 Team||Manor-Ferrari||Test Driver|
|2016||Manor F1 Team||Manor-Mercedes||Test/Reserve Driver|
|Front Row Starts||0|
|Distance Raced||1489 km (925 mi)|
|Distance Led||0 km (0 mi)|
|Complete Formula One results|
|3rd||DNQ||Did not qualify|
|5th||Points finish||DNPQ||Did not pre-qualify|
|14th||Non-points finish||TD||Test driver|
|NC||Non-classified finish (<90% race distance)||DNS||Did not start|
|Italics||Scored point(s) for Fastest Lap|
|[+] More Symbols|
- ↑ "Alexander Rossi confirmed as Caterham F1 Team Test Driver". Caterham F1 (Caterham F1 Team). 9 March 2012. Archived from the original on 11 March 2015. http://web.archive.org/web/20141016013431/http://www.caterhamf1.com/news/2012/alexander-rossi-confirmed-as-test-driver. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- ↑ "Caterham to give Rossi P1 run". Sky Sports. 4 May 2012. http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/23370/7730880/caterham-to-give-rossi-p1-run. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- ↑ "Di Resta quickest in opening session in Montreal". Pitpass.com. 7 June 2013. http://pitpass.com/49208-Di-Resta-quickest-in-opening-session-in-Montreal. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- ↑ "Rossi, Stevens to drive for Caterham at young driver test". Formula1.com. 16 July 2013. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/7/14808.html. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- ↑ Cooper, Adam (16 July 2014). "America's F1 hope Rossi parts ways with Caterham". Foxsports.com. http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/formula-1/americas-f1-hope-rossi-parts-ways-with-caterham/. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- ↑ "Rossi joins Marussia as reserve driver". Formula1.com. 24 July 2014. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/7/16143.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Formula1-Integrated-Feeds+(Formula+1+Integrated+Feeds). Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- ↑ "Rossi to race in Spa". Marussia. 21 August 2014. http://www.marussiaf1team.com/news/1017/. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- ↑ "Chilton to race as Marussia make Belgian U-turn". Formula1.com. 22 August 2014. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/8/16229.html. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- ↑ "FIA Stewards Decision — Document No. 6". Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 9 October 2014. http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/championship/documents/20141009/Formula%20One%20Russian%20Grand%20Prix%202014%20Document%20-%206_0.pdf. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- ↑ "Chilton to be Marussia's sole entrant in Russia". formula1.com. 10 October 2014. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/10/16470.html. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- ↑ Price, Trent (27 October 2014). "Administrators confirm no Marussia F1 team in Austin – new buyer in the wings?". James Allen on F1. http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/10/administrators-confirm-no-marussia-f1-team-in-austin-new-buyer-in-the-wings/. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- ↑ "Rossi to make F1 race debut with Manor in Singapore". motorsport.com (Jonathan Noble). 16 September 2015. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rossi-to-make-f1-race-debut-with-manor-in-singapore/. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- ↑ "Alexander Rossi Twitter (4:22 AM - 17 Sep 2015 Tweet)". Twitter. https://twitter.com/AlexanderRossi/status/644471511076732928. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- ↑ Barretto, Lawrence (9 March 2016). "Andretti IndyCar driver Alexander Rossi to act as Manor F1 reserve". http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123185. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- ↑ Barretto, Lawrence (August 5, 2016). "Indy 500 winner Alexander Rossi has F1 and IndyCar options for 2017". Autosport. Motorsport Network. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125618/rossi-has-f1-and-indycar-offers-for-2017. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Perkins, Chris (October 4, 2016). "Alexander Rossi Will Stay With Andretti Autosport in 2017". Road & Track. Hearst. http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a31029/alexander-rossi-indycar-2017/. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
|V T E||Caterham F1|
Marcus Ericsson · Kamui Kobayashi · André Lotterer · Will Stevens · Charles Pic · Giedo van der Garde · Heikki Kovalainen · Vitaly Petrov
Tony Fernandes · Collin Kolles · Manfredi Ravetto
CT01 · CT03 · CT05
|V T E||Marussia F1|
Nikolai Fomenko · John Booth · Graeme Lowdon · Pat Symonds
28. Will Stevens · 98. Roberto Merhi · 4. Max Chilton · 17. Jules Bianchi
Timo Glock · Charles Pic
Dino Zamparelli · Tio Ellinas · Rio Haryanto · Alexander Rossi · María de Villota
MR01 · MR02 · MR03
Virgin Racing · Manor Racing F1 Team
|V T E||Manor F1|
Esteban Ocon · Pascal Wehrlein · Rio Haryanto
Stephen Fitzpatrick · Dave Ryan · John McQuilliam · Nicholas Tombazis · Pat Fry
MRT05 · MRT06 (unraced)
Manor Marussia F1 Team