The 2020 Styrian Grand Prix, (officially the Formula 1 Pirelli Grosser Preis Der Steiermark 2020) was the second round of the 2020 FIA Formula One World Championship, staged at the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, Styria, Austria on 12 July 2020. The race was the second of the season to be held at the Red Bull Ring as result of a heavily revised calendar, and took its name from the region of Styria in Austria where the Red Bull Ring is located.
The fall-out from the Covid-19 Pandemic had heavily affected the calendar for the 2020 season, and resulted in the extraordinary decision to run a second race at the Red Bull Ring, marking the first time that a single circuit had hosted two World Championship rounds. However, to avoid confusion with the Austrian Grand Prix which would open the season, the second race at the Red Bull Ring would be named the Styrian Grand Prix after the region of Styria, Austria's second largest region and the home of the Red Bull Ring. Otherwise, there would be no changes to the circuit other than a change of name to the event, with the same timetable, track layout and rules, after a bid to implement reverse-grid rules was scuppered by Mercedes.
Ferrari revealed that they would bring a major upgrade to the second race of the season, an enforced change to their upgrade schedule after their miserable showing in the opening race. Indeed, while Charles Leclerc had claimed a podium finish at the opening race, the two scarlet cars were a second off the pace in qualifying, while Sebastian Vettel failed to get into Q3, and spun during the race. The update was expected to feature some re-profiling of the aerodynamics to reduce drag and improve stability.
Ahead of the second race of the season Williams announced that their main test and reserve driver Jack Aitken would take part in FP1 for the Styrian Grand Prix, taking over the #63 car of George Russell for the session. The decision had been made for a variety of reasons, although primarily because of new rules regarding the "bubble system" implemented by the series, which could rule out a driver from competing at a race if they had a positive Covid-19 test at the start of a race meeting. It was therefore seen as a priority for Williams to have their lead reserve driver gain track time with the FW43, and after a full meetings running at the Red Bull Ring a week earlier, it would not cost Russell any time to setup the car.
Elsewhere, there were widespread reports that Fernando Alonso would return to the F1 paddock in 2021, with Renault having approached the former Champion about their available race seat. The Spaniard, who had left the Championship at the end of 2018 to pursue the Triple Crown of Motorsport, had been associated with McLaren since his exit, and had hinted at wanting to return to the Championship after winning the World Endurance Championship in 2018/19. A formal announcement about his signing was expected during the Styrian Grand Prix weekend.
Valtteri Bottas led the Championship after claiming victory at the opening round, with his pole to victory run earning him 25 points. Charles Leclerc was a surprise second in-spite of a poor showing in qualifying, while Lando Norris was in third having claimed the bonus point for fastest lap. Lewis Hamilton and Carlos Sainz, Jr. then completed the top five, with Sergio Pérez, Pierre Gasly, Esteban Ocon, Antonio Giovinazzi and Sebastian Vettel also on the scoresheet.
In the Constructors' Championship it was Mercedes who led the way after the opening day, having scored 37 points courtesy of Bottas and Hamilton. McLaren-Renault were next up in second, sat on 26, while Ferrari were in third on eighteen. Racing Point-BWT Mercedes, AlphaTauri-Honda, Renault and Alfa Romeo-Ferrari then completed the scorers.
The full entry list for the 2020 Styrian Grand Prix is outlined below:
|3||Daniel Ricciardo||Renault||1:05.769||9||No time||20||Cancelled|
|7||Kimi Räikkönen||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||1:06.441||15||1:05.152||13|
|10||Pierre Gasly||Red Bull-Honda||1:05.698||8||1:04.757||11|
|11||Sergio Pérez||Racing Point-Mercedes||1:04.867||1||1:03.877||3|
|18||Lance Stroll||Racing Point-Mercedes||1:05.396||5||1:04.241||4|
|20||Kevin Magnussen||Haas-Ferrari||No time||20||1:05.790||18|
|33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull-Honda||1:04.963||2||1:03.660||1|
|55||Carlos Sainz, Jr.||McLaren-Renault||1:05.602||7||1:04.333||5|
|88||Robert Kubica||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||1:06.797||18|
|99||Antonio Giovinazzi||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||1:05.365||14|
The full qualifying results for the 2020 Styrian Grand Prix are outlined below:
|2||33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull-Honda||2||1:18.297||2||1:17.938||2||1:20.489||2|
|3||55||Carlos Sainz, Jr.||McLaren-Renault||4||1:18.590||7||1:18.836||3||1:20.671||3|
|7||23||Alexander Albon||Red Bull-Honda||14||1:20.882||8||1:19.014||7||1:21.011||6|
|13||18||Lance Stroll||Racing Point-BWT Mercedes||8||1:19.697||13||1:19.645||12|
|16||7||Kimi Räikkönen||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||16||1:21.372||16|
|17||11||Sergio Pérez||Racing Point-BWT Mercedes||17||1:21.607||17|
|19||99||Antonio Giovinazzi||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||19||1:21.831||20†|
|20||8||Romain Grosjean||Haas-Ferrari||20||no time||PL|
|107% time: 1:08.505|
- Bold indicates the fastest driver's time in each session.
- * Lando Norris was given a 3-place grid penalty for overtaking during yellow flags in FP1.
- ** Charles Leclerc was given a 3-place grid penalty for impeding Daniil Kvyat during Q2.
- † Antonio Giovinazzi was given a 5-place grid penalty for an unscheduled gearbox change.
Stephanie Travers Mercedes team joined on the podium to receive the winning manufacturer’s award.
The full results for the 2020 Styrian Grand Prix are outlined below:
|2||77||Valtteri Bottas||Mercedes||71||+ 13.719||4||18|
|3||33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull-Honda||71||+ 33.698||2||15|
|4||23||Alexander Albon||Red Bull-Honda||71||+ 44.400||6||12|
|5||4||Lando Norris||McLaren-Renault||71||+ 1:01.470||9||10|
|6||11||Sergio Pérez||Racing Point-BWT Mercedes||71||+ 1:02.387||17||8|
|7||18||Lance Stroll||Racing Point-BWT Mercedes||71||+ 1:02.453||12||6|
|8||3||Daniel Ricciardo||Renault||71||+ 1:02.591||8||4|
|9||55||Carlos Sainz, Jr.||McLaren-Renault||70||+ 1 Lap||3||3FL|
|10||26||Daniil Kvyat||AlphaTauri-Honda||70||+ 1 Lap||13||1|
|11||7||Kimi Räikkönen||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||70||+ 1 Lap||16|
|12||20||Kevin Magnussen||Haas-Ferrari||70||+ 1 Lap||15|
|13||8||Romain Grosjean||Haas-Ferrari||70||+ 1 Lap||PL|
|14||99||Antonio Giovinazzi||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||70||+ 1 Lap||20|
|15||10||Pierre Gasly||AlphaTauri-Honda||70||+ 1 Lap||7|
|16||63||George Russell||Williams-Mercedes||69||+ 2 Laps||11|
|17||6||Nicholas Latifi||Williams-Mercedes||69||+ 2 Laps||18|
|Ret||16||Charles Leclerc||Ferrari||2||Accident damage||14|
|Ret||5||Sebastian Vettel||Ferrari||1||Accident damage||10|
- FL Indicates a driver scored points for Fastest Lap.
- First Styrian Grand Prix to be staged.
- First time that one circuit has hosted two Grands Prix in one season.
- Lewis Hamilton's 89th pole and 85th race win.
- Hamilton has now won races in 14 consecutive seasons since his debut.
- Mercedes secured their 104th win as a constructor.
- Also their 190th win as an engine supplier.
- Carlos Sainz, Jr. earned his first fastest lap.
Images and Videos:
- ↑ "Formula 1 Pirelli Grosser Preis Der Steiermark 2020" formula1.com (Formula 1 World Championship Limited) https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2020/Styria.html (Accessed 06/08/2020)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 'F1 confirms first 8 races of revised 2020 calendar, starting with Austria double header', formula1.com, (Formula One World Championship Limited, 02/06/2020), https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-confirms-first-8-races-of-revised-2020-calendar-starting-with-austria.36X98qZnFFhNxQ8O2WdCON.html, (Accessed 26/06/2020)
- ↑ Viittausvirhe: Virheellinen
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 'We have to respond immediately' – Ferrari aiming to bring big update to Austria ahead of schedule', formula1.com, (Formula One World Championship Limited, 06/07/2020), https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.we-have-to-respond-immediately-ferrari-aiming-to-bring-big-update-to-austria.44WBmZABalMXfvWjy9Z3Wu.html, (Accessed 07/07/2020)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Adam Cooper, 'Williams to give Aitken FP1 run at second Austrian F1 event', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 06/07/2020), https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-aitken-fp1-styria-austria/4826605/?utm_source=home-page-widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_campaign=widget-6, (Accessed 07/07/2020)
- ↑ Viittausvirhe: Virheellinen
- ↑ Alex Kalinauckas, 'Kubica to make F1 race weekend return with Alfa', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 07/07/2020), https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-f1-race-return-alfa/4827729/?utm_source=home-page-widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_campaign=widget-22, (Accessed 07/07/2020)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Andrew Benson, 'Fernando Alonso to return to Formula 1 with Renault in 2021', bbc.co.uk/sport, (British Broadcasting Corporation, 07/07/2020), https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53325412, (Accessed 07/07/2020)
- ↑ Viittausvirhe: Virheellinen
- ↑ "2020 Styrian Grand Prix – Practice 1 results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 10 July 2020. https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2020/races/1046/austria/practice-1.html. Retrieved 10 July 2020.
- ↑ "2020 Styrian Grand Prix – Practice 2 results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 10 July 2020. https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2020/races/1046/austria/practice-2.html. Retrieved 10 July 2020.
- ↑ "2020 Styrian Grand Prix – Qualifying results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 11 July 2020. https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2020/races/1046/austria/qualifying.html. Retrieved 12 July 2020.
- ↑ "Renault seeks urgent solution after second radiator failure". motorsport.com. https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/renault-radiator-failure-ocon-styria/4833271/. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- ↑ 'FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GROSSER PREIS VON STEIEMARK 2020 - RACE RESULT', formula1.com, (Formula One World Championship Limited, 2020), https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2020/races/1046/austria/race-result.html, (Accessed 12/07/2020)
- ↑ Viittausvirhe: Virheellinen
|V T E||Styrian Grand Prix|
|Circuits||Red Bull Ring (2020–present)|
|v·d·e||Nominate this page for Featured Article|