The 2020 Russian Grand Prix (officially the Formula 1 VTB Russian Grand Prix 2020) was the 10th round of the 2020 Formula One season and the 7th Russian Grand Prix overall. It was held from September 25th to 27th.
In qualifying, after a late move up into the top ten in Q2 following a red flag for an accident involving Sebastian Vettel, Lewis Hamilton took his ninety-sixth pole position ahead of Max Verstappen and Valtteri Bottas.
In the race, Bottas jumped Verstappen at the start and almost took the lead of Hamilton at the second corner, but went wide and lost the place back to his teammate. The safety car was almost immediately deployed for the first five laps following two crashes on the opening lap: Carlos Sainz, Jr. hitting the barrier whilst taking to the escape road at Turn 2, and Lance Stroll being spun into the wall at Turn 5 by Charles Leclerc. Not long after, Hamilton was given two five-second time penalties, that he would serve during his pit stop at the end of lap 16, for illegally doing practice starts on the pit lane exit before the race. Following everyone else's pit stops, he was left in third place. The virtual safety car was also briefly deployed on lap 43 after Romain Grosjean ran through the boards on the escape road at Turn 2. With a faultless race, Bottas crossed the finish line to take his ninth victory and also his fifteenth fastest lap ahead of Verstappen and Hamilton.
Lewis Hamilton, who was recently included in the TIME Magazine's Top 100 influential people for 2020, still retains his championship lead ahead of team-mate Valtteri Bottas by 55 points after a third triple-header weekend. During the pre-race press conference, Hamilton has revealed that former McLaren Team principal Martin Whitmarsh is one of the 14 members of his own commission that he had set up in efforts to overcome racism and improve diversity in motorsport.
Some news reports stated that former Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali is due to replace Chase Carey as the CEO of Liberty Media at the end of 2020, although Formula One has yet to issue a statement. The move was officially announced on Friday.
The full entry list for the 2020 Russian Grand Prix is outlined below:
|7||Kimi Räikkönen||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||1:37.230||15||1:35.516||14||1:35.599||18|
|11||Sergio Pérez||Racing Point-Mercedes||1:35.796||4||1:34.890||6||1:34.252||5|
|18||Lance Stroll||Racing Point-Mercedes||1:35.965||5||1:35.627||17||1:34.732||8|
|23||Alexander Albon||Red Bull-Honda||1:36.254||8||1:35.242||12||1:35.603||19|
|33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull-Honda||1:35.577||3||1:35.048||7||1:34.306||6|
|55||Carlos Sainz, Jr.||McLaren-Renault||1:36.970||12||1:34.723||4||1:34.096||3|
|99||Antonio Giovinazzi||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||1:37.201||14||1:36.053||19||1:35.590||17|
- Bold indicates the fastest driver's time in each session.
The full qualifying results for the 2020 Russian Grand Prix are outlined below:
|2||33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull-Honda||1:3||9||1:33.157||2||1:31.867||2|
|4||11||Sergio Pérez||Racing Point-Mercedes||1:3||5||1:33.038||4||1:32.317||4|
|6||55||Carlos Sainz, Jr.||McLaren-Renault||1:3||3||1:32.757||6||1:32.550||6|
|10||23||Alexander Albon||Red Bull-Honda||1:3||8||1:33.153||10||1:33.008||15 *|
|13||18||Lance Stroll||Racing Point-Mercedes||1:3||13||1:33.364||12|
|17||99||Antonio Giovinazzi||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||17||1:34.594||17|
|19||6||Nicholas Latifi||Williams-Mercedes||19||1:35.066||20 *|
|20||7||Kimi Räikkönen||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||20||1:35.267||19|
- * Albon and Latifi are given 5-place grid penalties for gearbox changes.
- * 25 points for the win and 1 point for the fastest lap.
- † Ricciardo and Albon were each given five-second time penalties for not obeying the race director's instructions at Turn 2, but the penalties did not affect their final classifications. Hamilton has given 10-second time penalty for unsafe start to qualifying.
- Kimi Räikkönen's 322nd race start, equaling Rubens Barrichello's record.
- Sebastian Vettel's 250th race start.
- Valtteri Bottas' 9th race win.
- Red Bull's first podium in the Russian Grand Prix.
Images and Videos:
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- "2020 Russian Grand Prix – Practice 1 results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 25 September 2020. https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2020/races/1054/russia/practice-1.html. Retrieved 25 September 2020.
- "2020 Russian Grand Prix – Practice 2 results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 25 September 2020. https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2020/races/1054/russia/practice-2.html. Retrieved 25 September 2020.
- "2020 Russian Grand Prix – Practice 3 results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 26 September 2020. https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2020/races/1054/russia/practice-3.html. Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- ' ', formula1.com, (Formula One World Championship Limited, 2020), , (Accessed 05/07/2020)
- "Russia Grand Prix 2020 Race Results". formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 27 September 2020. https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2020/races/1054/russia/race-result.html. Retrieved 27 September 2020.
|V T E||Russian Grand Prix|
|Circuits||Sochi Autodrom (2014-2022) • Igora Drive (2023 onwards)|
|Races||2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017 • 2018 • 2019 • 2020 • 2021|
|v·d·e||Nominate this page for Featured Article|