The 2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (officially the Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2019) was the twenty-first and final race of the 2019 Formula One season, and the eleventh time the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix was held. It was held between 29 November and 1 December 2019.
In qualifying, Lewis Hamilton took his eighty-eighth pole position, his first since the German Grand Prix earlier in the year. Valtteri Bottas qualified second, but with a number of grid penalties for engine changes, he was put to the back of the grid, promoting Max Verstappen and Charles Leclerc to second and third on the grid respectively.
In the race, Hamilton kept the lead ahead of Verstappen and Leclerc, but Leclerc soon overtook Verstappen on the back straight. Lance Stroll made contact with Pierre Gasly at the first corner, spinning the latter into Sergio Pérez. While the three all continued racing, Gasly lost his front wing upon colliding with Pérez and had to pit for a new nose. Due to technical issues, DRS was not enabled until lap 18. Leclerc and Verstappen soon swapped positions after the former pitted earlier than the latter. Hamilton went on to take his eighty-fourth victory, also the first Grand Chelem since the 2017 British Grand Prix and since points were applied for ten-top runners setting the fastest lap. Verstappen and Leclerc finished second and third respectively, though Leclerc was immediately investigated by the stewards for an incorrect amount of fuel measured by the FIA before starting the race. He was allowed to keep his position, but the Ferrari team was fined €50,000 for breaching the regulations.
After failing to finish the Brazilian Grand Prix due to oil pressure, Bottas had a new engine fitted to his car. With excessive use of various power unit components, he was ordered by the stewards to start the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix from the back of the grid. He later had another ICE, MGU-H, MGU-K and turbocharger fitted after a pneumatic leak was found on his car after FP2.
|7||Kimi Räikkönen||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||1:39.888||13||1:38.415||17||1:38.514||16|
|10||Pierre Gasly||Toro Rosso-Honda||1:40.401||16||1:37.770||10||1:37.736||10|
|11||Sergio Pérez||Racing Point-BWT Mercedes||1:39.901||14||1:37.637||8||1:37.516||7|
|18||Lance Stroll||Racing Point-BWT Mercedes||1:39.864||12||1:37.985||13||1:38.462||15|
|23||Alexander Albon||Red Bull-Honda||1:38.084||4||1:37.288||6||1:36.927||4|
|26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso-Honda||1:39.969||15||1:37.651||9||1:37.963||12|
|33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull-Honda||1:37.492||2||1:36.807||5||1:36.566||1|
|55||Carlos Sainz, Jr.||McLaren-Renault||1:40.687||17||1:37.834||11||1:37.691||9|
|99||Antonio Giovinazzi||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||1:39.423||9||1:38.464||18||1:38.782||18|
|3||33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull-Honda||4||1:36.390||5||1:36.275||3||1:35.139||2|
|6||23||Alexander Albon||Red Bull-Honda||2||1:36.102||7||1:36.718||6||1:35.682||5|
|9||55||Carlos Sainz, Jr.||McLaren-Renault||10||1:37.358||6||1:36.308||9||1:36.459||8|
|11||11||Sergio Pérez||Racing Point-BWT Mercedes||6||1:36.961||11||1:37.055||10|
|12||10||Pierre Gasly||Toro Rosso-Honda||9||1:37.198||12||1:37.089||11|
|13||18||Lance Stroll||Racing Point-BWT Mercedes||12||1:37.528||13||1:37.103||12|
|14||26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso-Honda||14||1:37.683||14||1:37.141||13|
|17||99||Antonio Giovinazzi||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||17||1:38.114||16|
|18||7||Kimi Räikkönen||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||18||1:38.383||17|
|107% time: 1:42.561|
- * Bottas was forced to start from the back of the grid after using his fourth ICE, fourth turbocharger and fourth MGU-H, and later using his fifth ICE, fifth turbocharger, fifth MGU-H and third MGU-K.
- * 25 points for the win and 1 point for the fastest lap.
- Lewis Hamilton's 250th entry and start, 88th pole, 50th double and 6th Grand Chelem.
- Robert Kubica's final race.
Standings after race
- "Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2019". formula1.com. Formula One Administration. https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2019/United_Arab_Emirates.html. Retrieved 28 November 2019.
- "2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – Selected sets per driver". Pirelli. 19 November 2019. https://press.pirelli.com/2019-abu-dhabi-grand-prix--selected-sets-per-driver/. Retrieved 28 November 2019.
- "Bottas to start Abu Dhabi season finale from back of the grid". Formula1.com. Formula One Administration. 28 November 2019. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.bottas-to-start-abu-dhabi-season-finale-from-back-of-the-grid.59m3dFGVQg39PF8bXR3zpR.html. Retrieved 28 November 2019.
- "Mercedes change Bottas' engine again in Abu Dhabi". Formula1.com. Formula One Administration. 30 November 2019. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.mercedes-change-bottas-engine-again-in-abu-dhabi.7cahnh0EO0UeE6ifdwvZme.html. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – Practice 1 results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 29 November 2019. https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2019/races/1020/abu-dhabi/practice-1.html. Retrieved 29 November 2019.
- "2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – Practice 2 results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 29 November 2019. https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2019/races/1020/abu-dhabi/practice-2.html. Retrieved 29 November 2019.
- "2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – Practice 3 results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 30 November 2019. https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2019/races/1020/abudhabil/practice-3.html. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – Qualifying results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 30 November 2019. https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2019/races/1020/abudhabi/qualifying.html. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "FIA Stewards Decision — Document No. 7". FIA.com. Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 29 November 2019. https://www.fia.com/file/111508/download. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "FIA Stewards Decision — Document No. 19". FIA.com. Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 30 November 2019. https://www.fia.com/file/111580/download. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2019 Race Results". formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 1 December 2019. https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2019/races/1020/abu-dhabi/race-result.html. Retrieved 1 December 2019.
|V T E||Abu Dhabi Grand Prix|
|Circuits||Yas Marina Circuit (2009–present)|
|Races||2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017 • 2018 • 2019 • 2020|
|v·d·e||Nominate this page for Featured Article|