The 2016 Hungarian Grand Prix (officially known as the Formula 1 Magyar Nagydíj 2016) was the eleventh round of the 2016 Formula One season, and the 31st time the Hungarian Grand Prix was held on the Formula One calendar. It was held between 22 July and 24 July 2016.
The first qualifying session had four red flags, one due to heavy rainfall, and the other three due to accidents from Marcus Ericsson, Felipe Massa and Rio Haryanto. Throughout the first two qualifying sessions, due to the mixed weather conditions, the results had drivers such as Felipe Nasr being temporarily in the top ten before he fell down to sixteenth in Q2 as the track was drying since the final minutes of Q1. The final qualifying session started with Lewis Hamilton fastest at the time, but as the session ended, Nico Rosberg snatched pole position, while Hamilton was unable to improve due to having slow down under yellow flags. However, in the race, Hamilton took the lead at the first corner, and went on to take victory and the championship lead, while Rosberg and Daniel Ricciardo completed the podium.
Background[edit | edit source]
Following the British Grand Prix, Nico Rosberg was still leading the Drivers' Championship with 168 points, though only one point over Lewis Hamilton, following Hamilton's win in Britain and a time penalty for Rosberg putting him down to third in the race. Sebastian Vettel's ninth-place finish in Britain led to Kimi Räikkönen and Daniel Ricciardo both overtaking him in the standings. Räikkönen was 62 points behind Rosberg, while Ricciardo was another six points behind. In the Constructors' Championship, Mercedes led with 335 points, 131 points ahead of Ferrari. Red Bull were third with only six points behind Ferrari, while Williams were far behind with 92 points after failing to score points in the British Grand Prix. Force India followed with 73 points.
As per what was mentioned in an announcement before the Austrian Grand Prix, Charles Leclerc competed in FP1 for the Haas team. Also competing in FP1 was Esteban Ocon for Renault, following his good runs for Mercedes in the in-season test at the Silverstone Circuit the previous week.
Medium, soft and supersoft tyres are to be used for the Grand Prix, marking the first time the supersoft tyres are used at the Hungaroring. Ferrari chose nine sets of supersofts, while other teams chose either seven or eight. Sergio Pérez, Nico Hülkenberg and Esteban Gutiérrez were the only drivers to choose two sets of medium tyres, as the rest of the drivers chose only one set.
Meanwhile, Sauber announced that their financial problems were being solved by Longbow Finance S.A. buying the team. Ironically, the team did not change their name or flag, and kept Monisha Kaltenborn as their team principal, although Longbow Finance S.A.'s President and CEO Pascal Picci replaced Sauber's founder Peter Sauber to be Chairman, while Peter himself announced he was retiring.
Entry list[edit | edit source]
Practice Overview[edit | edit source]
FP1[edit | edit source]
FP2[edit | edit source]
FP3[edit | edit source]
Practice Results[edit | edit source]
|3||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull-TAG Heuer||1:23.174||5||1:21.030||2||1:20.726||3|
|11||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes||1:24.073||10||1:22.653||10||1:21.672||9|
|26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:25.324||19||1:22.948||16||1:22.541||18|
|27||Nico Hülkenberg||Force India-Mercedes||1:24.120||11||1:22.449||9||1:22.427||17|
|33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull-TAG Heuer||1:23.457||6||1:21.770||4||1:20.263||2|
|55||Carlos Sainz, Jr.||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:24.579||14||1:22.689||13||1:22.402||16|
Qualifying[edit | edit source]
Q1[edit | edit source]
Q2[edit | edit source]
Q3[edit | edit source]
Qualifying Results[edit | edit source]
|3||3||Daniel Ricciardo*||Red Bull-TAG Heuer||12||1:39.968||3||1:23.234||3||1:20.280||3|
|4||33||Max Verstappen*||Red Bull-TAG Heuer||13||1:40.424||1||1:22.660||4||1:20.557||4|
|6||55||Carlos Sainz, Jr.||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||6||1:36.115||9||1:24.734||6||1:21.131||6|
|9||27||Nico Hülkenberg*||Force India-Mercedes||15||1:41.471||5||1:23.901||9||1:21.823||9|
|12||26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||7||1:36.714||12||1:25.301||12|
|13||11||Sergio Pérez*||Force India-Mercedes||14||1:41.411||13||1:25.416||13|
|107% time: 1:39.833|
- * Ricciardo, Verstappen, Hülkenberg, Bottas and Pérez were unable to set a time faster than the 107% requirement in Q1, though they were not in the knockout zone. However, they were permitted to keep their positions and compete in Q2.
- † Palmer, Massa, Magnussen, Ericsson, Wehrlein and Haryanto all did not go faster than 107% of Rosberg's fastest lap in Q1, but were allowed to take part in the race in the order of their fastest times in FP3.
- ‡ Ericsson had to start from the pit lane due to his car's survival cell being changed.
- § Haryanto was given a five-place grid penalty for an unscheduled gearbox change.
Grid[edit | edit source]
|______________||Carlos Sainz, Jr.|
- * Haryanto was given a five-place grid penalty for an unscheduled gearbox change.
- † Ericsson had to start from the pit lane due to his car's survival cell being changed.
Race[edit | edit source]
Report[edit | edit source]
Results[edit | edit source]
- * Gutiérrez was given a five-second time penalty for ignoring blue flags.
Milestones[edit | edit source]
- Lewis Hamilton overtook Michael Schumacher to have won the Hungarian Grand Prix five times.
- First time that both McLaren cars got into Q3 since the 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Standings after race[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- "Formula 1 Magyar Nagydíj 2016". formula1.com. Formula One Administration. http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/championship/races/2016/Hungary.html. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Collantine, Keith (10 July 2016). "2016 British Grand Prix championship points". F1 Fanatic (Keith Collantine). http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/07/10/2016-british-grand-prix-championship-points/. Retrieved 23 July 2016. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "c'ship" defined multiple times with different content
- "GP3 winner Leclerc gets practice outings with Haas". formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 24 June 2016. http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/6/gp3-winner-leclerc-gets-practice-outings-with-haas.html. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Ocon handed Renault FP1 outing in Hungary". formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 18 July 2016. http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/7/f1-hungary-renault-ocon-fp1.html. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "Ferrari load up on supersoft tyres for Hungary". formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 12 July 2016. http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/7/ferrari-load-up-on-supersoft-tyres-for-hungary.html. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "Sauber under new ownership". formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 20 July 2016. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/7/sauber-under-new-ownership.html. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "2016 Hungarian Grand Prix – Practice 1 results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 22 July 2016. http://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2016/races/947/hungary/practice-1.html. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "2016 Hungarian Grand Prix – Practice 2 results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 22 July 2016. http://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2016/races/947/hungary/practice-2.html. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "2016 Hungarian Grand Prix – Practice 3 results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 23 July 2016. http://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2016/races/947/hungary/practice-3.html. Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- "2016 Hungarian Grand Prix – Qualifying results". Formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 23 July 2016. http://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2016/races/947/hungary/qualifying.html. Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- "Red Bull amongst those to escape 107% grid drop". formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 23 July 2016. http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/7/red-bull-escape-grid-drop-hungary.html. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- "Stewards Decision Doc47 - M.Ericsson". Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 24 July 2016. http://www.fia.com/file/45585/download?token=_skFCfrZ. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- "Stewards Decision Doc4 - R.Haryanto". Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 24 July 2016. http://www.fia.com/file/45584/download?token=MeM-gQY6. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- "Hungary Grand Prix 2016 Race Results". formula1.com (Formula One Administration). 24 July 2016. https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2016/races/947/hungary/race-result.html. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
|V T E||Hungarian Grand Prix|
|Circuits||Népliget Park (1936); Hungaroring (1986 - Present)|
|Races||1986 • 1987 • 1988 • 1989 • 1990 • 1991 • 1992 • 1993 • 1994 • 1995 • 1996 • 1997 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2001 • 2002 • 2003 • 2004 • 2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017 • 2018 • 2019 • 2020|
|v·d·e||Nominate this page for Featured Article|