The 1978 Race of Champions was held at Silverstone Circuit on March 19. Very wet conditions saw only five of the 15 starters finish, with Keke Rosberg giving Theodore their only victory ever. Emerson Fittipaldi finished second in his brother's namesake Fittipaldi, less than two seconds back. Third place was Tony Trimmer in a privateer McLaren, three laps down.
The full entry list for the 1978 BRDC International Trophy is outlined below:
The full qualifying results for the 1978 BRDC International Trophy are outlined below:
- * Peterson was penalized as he had started in last at the pit lane.
- † Lauda had failed to take the start after he spun and crashed his car.
- ‡ Arnoux had failed to take the start after he had problems with the oil pressure of his car.
- § Galica was listed as first reserve and was allow to join at the back of the grid.
|10||Emilio de Villota|
- * Lauda and Arnoux were both removed from the grid and also Peterson had started in last at the pit lane, but Andretti would take his place on pole position.
The full results for the 1978 BRDC International Trophy are outlined below:
- * Stuck has failed to complete 90% of the race distance.
- First victory for Keke Rosberg (since before his first World Championship victory in 1982).
- Only victory for Theodore cars.
- Only podium for Tony Trimmer.